Are your tenants at risk?

Nov 29th 2010

Carbon Monoxide Awareness week. Carbon Monoxide is often referred to as 'the silent killer'. Can you spot the signs?


Carbon-based fuels are safe to use, but faulty appliances and blocked flues can cause the build-up of poisonous carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and tasteless making it difficult to detect. Signs include*:

Stains, soot or discolouring around a gas fire or at the top of a water heater
A yellow or orange flame on a gas fire or water heater
Pilot light frequently blows out
Increased condensation inside windows
The best way to detect carbon monoxide is to install an audible carbon monoxide detector, as strongly recommended by the Health and Safety Executive*.

Your tenants are at greatest risk from carbon monoxide poisoning when they are asleep, because they may not be aware of early symptoms until it is too late. Having an audible carbon monoxide detector could wake up your tenant and save their life.*