Jun 3rd 2010

Both gas stand alone appliances & built in appliances have certain "saftey rules" on the which make & models you can install dependant on the type of property?

Installation of Gas Hobs in "multi occupancy properties" this has a separate definition to HMO's


Since Jan 2008 the rules that govern Gas Safe Registered Engineers changed prohibiting the installation of any appliaces with a gas hob unless it has  "Flame Failure Device"


or FSD stops the flow of gas when the flame goes out to prevent a gas leak.  Gas hobs DO NOT have this device fitted as standard.

Property Types that require an FFD

  • Flat
  • Maisonette
  • Bedsit
  • Halls of residence
  • APartments
  • Any HMO
  • Any annex eg Granny flat)

As most landlords do not replace these items that often, it is worth keeping this information in mind should you have to replace any appliance in the future.

Homematch will make sure any purchase of a gas appliances has been fitted with an FFD.  If you would normally buy you own equipment & then employee a Gas Safe Engineer to fit, it wouldn't be any use if they could not fit the appliances you have already purchased.

If in doubt check with your Gas Safe Engineer.